Thursday, March 12, 2009

Scrapbook Entry#7 Chip Bags and Candy Wrappers


I would not typically call a chip bag art or frame a candy wrapper. Instead I usually just toss the wrapper in the trash after eating whatever was inside. Yet isn't it the job of the wrapper to draw your attention to the product? The brightly repeated primary colors, bold text, and shinny material act together to make you want to by that item. I recently looked at the vending machine and noticed that I was drawn in by certain packaging causing me to want that product even if I was more in the mood for something else. Although I do not believe that chip bags or candy wrappers should be hung up on gallery walls or even considered to be art for that matter I do believe that there is an artistic science evident in them. The producers of these products demand our attention because they understand what makes the consumer want something. For example, I noticed a strong use of the colors red and blue. Many packages also had a large scale image of the food inside with letters boldly outlined so that they pop out from the background. All of these elements work subconsciously on our brains to grab our attention and affect the choice of which junk food we will spend our 50 cents on when standing in front of the vending machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment