Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New Media Artist#7 Tracey Emin


I first discovered Tracey Emin from a magazine article about up and coming young artists. Emin is of Turkish Cypriot descent but currently lives in England. She is a member of the Young British Artists and known for her sometimes risqué and very taboo work. Emin's very message driven and opinionated work and outspoken personality tends to  make some people extremely uncomfortable. Emin's artwork ranges from installation and sculpture, to photography and painting, and more. One piece that she is well known for is her installation Everyone I Have Ever Slept With. Emin appliqued the 102 names of everyone she had ever slept with, but not necessarily in a sexual sense, to a tent. The floor of the tent read "With myself, always myself, never forgetting." Another one of Emin's infamous exhibitions is entitled My Bed, which features her unmade  bed with everything from old cigarette packs and dirty underwear. The bed is a comment on how it was when she had stayed in due to suicidal feelings from relationship problems.  The installation that I was first drawn to when researching Tracey Emin was her neon light sculptures. These sculptures feature colorful neon lights bended to form different words and phrases such as "You Forgot To Kiss My Soul" and "I Promise To Love You." I am attracted to Emin's work because it is so personal and she is not afraid to show the world what she feels and what she has gone through. She makes the art she wants to make and doesn't care if it is uncomfortable to other people or inappropriate. I admire her courage and would like to be able to use her as a role model to make what I feel not what I think others will like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment